Thursday 15 March 2012

Dell Dimension 8250 upgrade

As I said in my previous post I have acquired an 8 year old Dell 8250. I now plan to use it as a movie playing machine and a minecraft server. Hopefully the 1gb of RDRAM will be enough for a local server for private use. But the one concern I have is video playback. As I said before the MX420 is only just able to run full screen 480p video. So to fix this problem I am going to have to buy a graphics card that supports video acceleration. After a look on amazon and ebay I have come down to 2or 3 cards that are at the price I need. They are as follows

Nvidia 6600gt AGP
Nvidia 7600gt AGP
ATI 3450HD AGP
ATI 4650HD AGP

The the 3450hd is there because it supports full HD acceleration for video and draws much less power.

Edit 1 16/03/12: So i've added the ATI 4650HD to the list only because it is far better than the other three and hopefully I can get a good price somewhere on the internet. However my main concern is if my measly 250w power supply can handle it...

Edit 2 16/03/12: Now there are pictures


Developing...

No comments:

Post a Comment