Thursday 14 June 2012

Macbook Pro Retina Hands On






Today I made a trip to the HK Apple flagship store. It was my first time in the store and being a weekend I assumed it would be fairly empty, in reality the store was packed even on a working day at 3pm. The very friendly Genius talked me through all the key details of the new model as was thoroughly helpful and I really felt like I was treated to the coveted 'Apple experience'.



Now onto the main point.

The Hardware

Owning a Macbook Pro 15" I've become accustomed to the weight and size of the laptop. Weight never really bothered me and it is only recently that I've started to notice as I'm carrying it around a lot more. The new Macbook Retina is definitely tangibly lighter and I noticed the difference immediately. The laptop is still not feather weight but it is a marked improvement. The footprint is almost identical with the Retina model being ever so slightly less wide and less tall. It is about as think closed as the non-Retina model is without the screen closed. The keyboard and trackpad feel exactly the same which is a good thing as I'm a big fan of the Apple keyboards that I believe are some of the best (Just behind some lenovo keyboards.) Some people complained about cut wrists as a result of sharp edges on previous MBP however I did not have this issue with the Retina as its lower profile reduced the angle at which my wrists rested.

The Screen

The 'up to 75%' reduction is noticeable and even in the brightly lit Apple store the screen was very usable. Black levels are much improved and the brightness seems to be ever so slightly brighter than my 2009 model. The retina display is incredible and even though under normal use I can't discern the pixels on my 2009 model the Retina display just looked sharper especially the text on websites. The bezels also seem to be reduced and gone is the 'Macbook Pro' branding under the screen, instead it has been relocated to the bottom.

The Problems?


When I switched the display to emulate the 1920 x 1200 setting really (3840 x 2400 downscaled) I did notice some choppy scrolling on websites, hopefully this is a driver issue that will be fixed in an update. The lack of ethernet does concern me as sometimes ethernet is much more reliable than wifi, the thunderbolt adapter in my mind should be included at least to compensate for this. Also the fact that Apple still only include 2 usb ports is annoying, but at least they are spread on either side this time.

Hands on Summary


The HK apple store genius told me that the initial wave of Retina MBP had sold out within hours and that new stock was arriving soon. I hope to get hold of one of the 2.6ghz models with 8gb of RAM and I'll post a review as soon as get it and have time to do one. The Retina Macbook Pro is a pretty incredible feat of engineering and I can't wait to own one.





No comments:

Post a Comment